Saturday, October 15, 2011

Driving

A reader and friend who lives in Japan suggested I convert my driver's license into a Japanese license. You used to be able to do this with ease, simply turning in the one and receiving a new Japanese license in exchange. For Americans, however, the rules have changed, and the Japanese authorities no longer convert USA Driver's licenses into Japanese licenses.

My old International Driver's License was usable in Japan for a year, then I had to get a Japanese license to legally continue driving.

Thus, I had to get my California driver's license translated into Japanese, be interviewed, approved, and then take and pass both a written and driving skills test in order to get my Japanese license. Don't forget the vision test!

During the interview, they asked important questions about what type of car I drove when I first got a license in 1977 and how many possible answers were on the multiple choice test I took back then. They were not at all curious about whether I had a bad driving record, lot's of speeding tickets, or whether I had been involved in any car accidents. Good thing my Japanese wife was able to go with me to translate. About a week later they called to let me know I was approved to take the tests.

At least they offered an Engrish language version of the written test. The English language study guide had hysterically bad and laughable translations. (for example, when it is raining you must open the car window). I easily passed the written test, which appeared to have been made intentionally easy in order to be polite to inconvenienced foreigners.

Sadly, I failed the driving test the first time, but at least I passed the second time. About an hour before the test, they give you a map showing the off street course. The course is different each day and you must memorize all of the turns if you want to pass. There are roughly 12 turns, perhaps more.

Apparently, I drove in the left lane for maybe 100 meters when I should have been in the right lane instead, when preparing to make a right turn. Good thing I remembered to look under the car before getting in. Otherwise, I would have failed both times. I am not making that up. Like a Kabuki theater: Open door partially, look behind you, get in, close door, adjust seat, adjust mirrors, check door lock, release hand brake, foot on regular brake, start engine, look in all directions, put on indicator, look in all directions again, go. If done in the wrong order, you fail.

I received the license, but they will force me to sit through up to 3 Japanese language classroom seminars when the license needs to be renewed next year.

Does any of this make anyone safer? I am sure it wastes an extraordinary amount of time, costs me money, and there are many many people who get paid for what they do at the Japanese DMV. At least they are polite and helpful while they waste my time.

1 comment:

  1. Well, Andy, I do know they make you sit through watching the movies because it takes them an hour to process your information onto the license and make it official.

    They want to hand you your license and not send it to you where it might disappear... That's what a relative who worked for the Japanese DMV told me... You can go to the classes and even play with your DS game or listen to iPod, the "instructor" won't say anything... (I've put my head down and slept before). Hated being rude but I was dead tired!

    ReplyDelete