Saturday, October 9, 2010

Kouyou

In spite of global warming, autumn leaf changing season in the northern hemisphere has arrived. The Japanese people have a special word for the leaf changing season, Kouyou. The leaf colors around here are magnificent and despite the beauty, remind me that another year is passing. In another 3 short weeks the mountain roads where I ride bike and where elderly people forage for wild mushrooms will be closed until late next spring. My thermal underwear is ready to wear, having been located at the back of the closet where it had remained comfortably hidden underneath our camping gear, behind a suitcase we haven't used in 8 years.

This year has been a wonderful success for me. My repertoire of Japanese kanji symbols has increased by 50%, from 4 to 6. Even better, I can almost understand what the neighbor's 3 year old is saying to me. (Do you want to eat some of this? Child holds out a piece of slimy looking cheese in his dirt encrusted fingers)

Can an adult be comfortable operating at this level, living in a child like state, mostly unable to communicate, as if I was an alien that just landed on earth? Say, did you ever notice that TV and movie aliens always know how to speak English? Just once it would be fun to see what would happen if they only spoke French, or Japanese. What would Captain Kirk do?

More than a year after having arrived here I can report that I am comfortable living in Japan, despite the language difficulties. For once, my hesitation to form interpersonal relationships is actually a benefit. I have formed no relationships and don't mind it. My neighbors, mostly elderly women who hang out and gossip all day long, keep a close eye on me. How do you say "what's that crazy, lazy, non working, bike riding, foreigner doing today?" in Japanese?

My wife and daughter also like it here in an isolated part of rural Japan. Guess we'll stay. It's a great place to hide!

No comments:

Post a Comment